We have extended our capabilities in Mineral Insulated Metal Sheathed (MIMS) thermocouple assemblies and cable; they are now available in continuous lengths of up to 18 meters.
For a number of years we have made superior precious metal MIMS thermocouples. In response to industry demands to make them longer, we have recently developed our process to achieve dramatic increases in single unit lengths. We can now manufacture various diameter MIMS thermocouples up to 18m long. For customers using MIMS cable to make finished assemblies, this offers greater flexibility and efficiency.
During the process development we have also reduced the manufacturing time of producing MIMS thermocouples and cables, offering a shorter lead time to customers.
Compared to other methods of temperature measurement, MIMS thermocouples provide exceptional accuracy, extended service life and lower temperature drift. Because of these properties, it is becoming a regulatory requirement to use them in many high performance applications.
What is MIMS?
Mineral Insulated Metal Sheathed (MIMS) thermocouple assemblies and cable consists of fine diameter thermocouple wires embedded in high purity magnesia refractory that is surrounded by a metal sheath. The benefits of MIMS compared to standard bare wire thermocouples include:
- Flexibility and compactness; they can be bent around small radii (down to four times the MIMS diameter), allowing difficult heat zones to be measured.
- A quick response to temperature change; the high conductivity of the sheath reduces the thermal lag in temperature measurement.
- Being extremely resistant to mechanical and thermal shock.
- Resistance to chemical and atmospheric attack.
- Meeting the rigorous demands of AMS 2750E standards.
MIMS are typically used in vacuum furnaces, aerospace engines, nuclear reactors, gas turbines and heat treatment furnaces, among other applications.